When: 7th July – 14th July
Join the national week of action against workfare!
The Queens Jubilee has seen the disgrace of exploiting the unemployed through workfare. The ‘ethical’ company Holland & Barrett who are due to be signed up to 1100 workfare places will receive its deserved focus of this week of action. Up and down the country groups will been taking action against workfare providers – A4E, Maximus, Reed etc… including those who are using workfare to replace paid work – Tesco, the Works, Asda, Shoe Zone etc…
Join us and take part in fun and creative actions against workfare.
What can you do?
- Join up with your local groups – anti-cuts groups, claimants groups, trade unions and other organisations campaigning against workfare!
- Organise a workfare walk of shame on your high street. See a video and how to guide here.
- Come to our workfare counter-conference on 10th July in Birmingham from 10am – 5.30pm at the Unite Building, Transport House, 211 Broad Street, Birmingham B15 1AY (Disability access provided). More info.
- Do some sleuthing! Help find out where workfare is taking place on your high street.
- Know your rights! Leaflet at your local job centre or work programme provider to let people know their rights. Download the latest leaflet here.
- Take part in a mass complaint against Holland & Barrett, by email, phone and social media! See Facebook event.
- Be creative! People have dressed as chain gangs, occupied shops that use workfare, encouraged customers to turn away, delivered a “bullshit detector” to workfare thinktanks, organised a farewell party for A4e and more…
- Contact us! Let us know what you’re planning on the Facebook event here or email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet to @boycottworkfare
These actions have been announced so far:
Birmingham – Join our workfare counter-conference on 10th July in Birmingham from 10am – 5.30pm at the Unite Building, Transport House, 211 Broad Street, Birmingham B15 1AY (Disability access provided). More info.
Brighton – 11am 7th July – Workfare walk of shame. More info.
Edinburgh – 12 noon 14th July. More info.
Hastings – 11.30am 7th July Station Plaza. More info.
Leeds – Planning page for the week of action, with workfare walks of shame on Wednesday and Thursday. More info.
Liverpool – Weekly pickets culminating in a 7th of July action! More Info.
London, Central – 12 noon, near Goodge Street station. More info.
London, Blackheath and Brixton – Actions on 7th and 14th July. More info.
London, Hackney – Action on 14th July. More info.
London, Islington – Action on 7th July. More info.
London, Wood Green – 12-1pm, Saturday 7 July, 12 noon at Holland and Barrett, 129-131 High Road, N22 6BB and may end up somewhere else before 1pm. (Call 07817 483 167 if you can’t find us on the day.)
Oxford – 12.30pm, 7th July. See Facebook event.
Poole – 1pm 7th July – Kingland Crescent Holland and Barrett. More info.
Rhondda Valley – Contact via Facebook event comments.
South West – July 7th will see our campaign take to the streets of Bristol again. The following week will see a variety of action across the region. We currently have news of pickets of workfare providers taking place in Bath, Yate, Wells, Stroud, Swindon and again in Bristol. More details to follow. More info.
York – Fountain Parliament Square 1pm 7th July. More info.
Info: You may want to find out more information here about workfare providers and those who have signed up to it.
Posters: Download this Week of Action poster, produced by Brighton Benefits Campaign.