There are many easy ways to help the campaign. Have a glance at our list and see what you can do!
Know someone who is facing workfare?
Tell people you know who are being sent onto workfare schemes about us, that we exist, and that we can help them with practical advice. Visit the fantastic consent.me.uk website for info on your rights and see our know your rights leaflet for people threatened with workfare.
Take action to stop companies profiting from workfare
- Read the latest calls to action
- Sign the petition! And get your friends to do so too.
- Help find out where workfare is taking place.
- Let the organisations profiting from workfare know what you think of them. Use this useful list of contact details.
- Download this letter and send it to those companies profiting from workfare.
- If you tweet, use this handy page to contact companies profiting from workfare (Note: It works! Maplin are still listed but have since pulled out of the scheme).
- Union Branches: sign our pledge. Workfare is being specifically targeted at unionised workplaces. See our suggested union motion.
- Write to your MP. You can do so through the writetothem.com website. If you don’t have time to write your own text, you may like to adapt this letter from one of our supporters to their MP.
Stay up to date with the latest
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- Keep checking out the site to see what’s happening as the campaign grows.
- Join our email announcement list (for updates about once a month). Add your email address here.
- You may also like to join the Defend Welfare mailing list where lots of useful info and campaigns announcements are shared. (Recommend the digest setting as there’s a few messages sent every day!)
Spread the word!
Download this see our leaflet for people threatened with workfare, or this leaflet for union members, or this leaflet for students to let people know about workfare and join the campaign to help stop it! You can also use these images to illustrate your own leaflets.
Book a workshop – Members of Boycott Workfare are happy to run workshops or speak about the campaign at colleges, universities, meetings and events. Please get in touch if you would like to invite us.
Organise a workfare walk of shame on your high street. See a video and how to guide here.
Film showings of “A Day’s Work, A Day’s Pay” about the impacts of workfare in New York are also an effective way to get people talking about the campaign. Have a look at the trailer below and get in touch if you’d like to book a film showing.
Feel free to copy, adapt and distribute anything on our website!
Knowledge is power
If you are on workfare scheme or know someone who has been sent on one then let us know. The more we know, the more we can do to challenge the idea that people should be forced to work for no wages, while big businesses profit via tax payers subsidies to the tune of billions. Help us expose the companies and organisations that really are getting something for nothing.
Share your stories!
It really helps to show why workfare is so wrong to share real people’s stories.
If you or someone you know are currently doing workfare then email us your stories in confidence, tell us how your provider operates. C’mon get it off your chest! Remember, you are not alone.
If you are someone who used to be employed at a workfare provider, we would be more than happy to hear your stories.
We will always make sure to protect your anonymity and won’t publish anything without your permission.
Support the campaign with a donation
Importantly we need leaflets. Or rather we need the resources to print them. We would really welcome any donations. All our funds go on printing leaflets and travel to enable us to spread the word across the country and let people know their rights.
We also welcome donations of plain A4 paper.
Let us know if you would like to donate to the campaign.
Any ideas or advice for the campaign? Get in touch. Your ideas are always welcome.
Take action in your area
Would your group like to be in touch with other groups taking action on workfare? Regular online meetings via skype are beginning to be organised. To find out how to get involved, please contact info[at]boycottworkfare[dot]org.